How long does the safety certificate inspection usually take?

Approximately 45 minutes.

   What is the cost of the safety certificate/COI?

This is dependant on your geographical location; you should contact us to receive a quote.

   What does the examiner require?

Preferably a flat clean surface eg. concrete, or as level as possible, an area large enough to open the doors and walk around the vehicle with ease.

   What do I need to do prior to the inspection?

If your vehicle, (car, caravan etc) operates on either CNG or LPG, gas certificate required for registration.

   Is there anything else I can do?

Yes! It is advantageous for the owner to clean the vehicle engine bay, and the underside of the vehicle, this allows the examiner easy access to the VIN and additional numbers we require for the certification, if you are aware of any fault what so ever that you may feel compromises the safety of the vehicle these should be rectified, this will reduce the possibility of a 2nd inspection.

   If the vehicle is defective can I repair the faults myself?

These faults should be carried out by a fully qualified mechanic, although you maybe able to repair small faults such as light bulbs, light lens replacement. Brakes and their related components should not be repaired by a non qualified person; the same applies to suspension, steering, structural components.

   What if the vehicle does not pass the examination?

You have 14 days to rectify the faults, the examiner will return prior to or on the 14th day to complete the 2nd inspection, if the vehicle fails the 2nd inspection the certificate is cancelled.

   Does the 2nd inspection cost me more?

Yes, there is a fee which takes into account time and expenses.

   What happens if the vehicle doesn't pass the 2nd inspection?

The examiner is required to cancel the certificate. If this occurs the next inspection will be regarded as a new inspection and a full fee will be payable.

   What information do I need to give to the examiner?

The current registered/unregistered owner's name, address, postcode, the examiner will collect off the vehicle the VIN and engine numbers.

   Can I help?

Sorry, but no, the examiner has had extensive training to carry out the inspection.

   Are there any extra costs involved with an inspection?

If the vehicle/trailer is equipped with drum brakes, and you require the examiner to remove these for you there is an additional fee applicable on a per drum basis, to help you reduce this fee it is possible for you to remove these prior to the appointment time. Any additional work performed by the examiner has a additional fee.

Online Inspections

   What does ICO stand for?

Inspection Certificates Online.

   What does this mean for me, who wants to sell my car or transfer ownership of it?

When the safety certificate is carried out, the approved examiner will lodge it directly with Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads. You will be required to supply a valid email address, and a copy will be sent directly from TMR to the email address provided.

   But how does this help me?

It will allow you to transfer the registration of the particular vehicle online, and allow the purchasing party to transfer the vehicle into their own name online.

   I have a truck over 4500kg GVM, can I make use of this service?

Yes. A truck requires a certificate of inspection annually, which will be lodged online by the approved examiner. You can pay your registration fees online, as long as the vehicle has the certificate applied to it. This way you will no longer have to attend a transport service counter to pay your registration, or present your certificate of inspection.

   The trailer I have is over 3500kg ATM, can I also use this service?

Yes. All registered vehicles with a braking system require a safety certificate to sell, transfer, or maintain its registration and compliance.

   My trailer doesn't have brakes and the ATM is 750kg. Do I need a safety certificate?

No. This trailer is the typical 6x4 trailer without its own braking system, and doesn't require the safety certificate.

   I am late in getting my certificate of inspection for my truck or heavy trailer.

Regardless, it will still need to be certified as compliant or roadworthy. It will be applied as at the date of the previous certificate of inspection lapsing.

   But to keep working I need to be able to use my truck / trailer...

If a vehicle that hasn't had a certificate of inspection applied to it is operated or driven on Queensland roads, you may receive an infringement notice.

   My vehicle has a defect notice.

Soon these will be able to be cleared online by an approved examiner, and lodged directly with the Department of Transport and Main Roads by said approved examiner.

   My defect notice was issued by another state's regulatory body.

A defect notice issued by another state's authority is not clearable online, and will need to be submitted to the state authority in which the defect was cleared. For example, if your defect notice was issued from New South Wales' Department of Roads and Maritime Services, but was repaired in Queensland, evidence of your repairs will need to be submitted to Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Trucks & Heavy Vehicles

Things you should know prior to inspection for trucks and heavy vehicles:

  • If your truck is cab over type, the cabin must be emptied of heavy materials allowing easy tilting of cabin.
  • The vehicle must be readied to test drive, enabling test drive of the vehicle without necessity of removing equipment, (note additional fees will apply if I am required to ready the vehicle for test drive).
  • A number of fail items should be attended to prior to my arrival, e.g washers filled, brakes adjusted, lighting operational, suspension bushes and pins checked for excessive wear, excessive steering free play.
  • Tyre wear is checked.
  • Modification blue plates affixed, for body mountings, tow couplings, and ancillary fittings, please contact me for further explanation.
  • Non-QLD registered vehicles or unregistered heavy vehicles over 16 tonne GVM/Trailers over 10 Tonnes ATM, are able to be inspected by an authorised heavy vehicle A.I.S (approved Inspection Station)
  • What is HVRAS, QLD transport Heavy Vehicle Registration Assessment Scheme), what is it? It is required by QLD Transport on vehicles that are to be registered in QLD, regardless even if the vehicle has previously been registered in QLD, and applies to all heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonne GVM,(Gross Vehicle Mass) and trailers of all types over 750KG ATM(Aggregate Trailer Mass), this can be carried out for you either by QLD Transport staff at the time of registration, (you will be required to bring the vehicle with you), or I am accredited to carry this out on site, (fees apply). It is the measuring of the vehicle ensuring it does not exceed mass limits, requiring calculations to be made to ascertain this information.
  • People also maybe unaware that any heavy vehicle over 4.5 Tonne GVM, requires Blue modification plates affixed by an approved person, this applies only to heavy vehicles that have been imported as cab/chassis, or built in Australia as cab/chassis, and does not apply to vehicles that have been imported as tip trucks etc, e.g Japanese trucks are sometimes imported with tipper bodies fitted and these do not require a blue modification plate, also some prime movers that have a decal affixed to a pillar which may say “ The fifth wheel assembly has been installed in the manufacturing process” these also do not require a blue modification plate for the 5th wheel installation.
  • If there is anything you maybe unsure of please contact us and we will do my best to clarify your request.

Trailers & Caravans

The following may change at any time in the future, and is provided to assist you to understanding the process of selling and or registering a trailer of any type regardless of ATM (Aggregate Trailer Mass).

A trailer with an ATM of 750kg or less not fitted with a braking system does not require a safety certificate for registration/ transfer or renewal. If the trailer of this size is not currently registered in QLD, you must fill out the trailer self-assessment sheet, follow the instructions on this sheet/form and fill in a new registration form.

A trailer over 750kg ATM must have a braking system fitted to be registered and operate on QLD roads, and requires a safety certificate to transfer/renew registration, the safety certificate must be performed prior to offering the trailer for sale, same as with motor vehicles, the fines are substantial.

If the trailer is unregistered, you will also require a safety certificate, and present the trailer at time of registration for (HVRAS), Heavy Vehicle Registration Assessment Scheme. This is the measuring of the trailer over 750kg or heavy vehicle over 4.5 tonne.

Measurements are taken from the vehicle to be registered and noted on a document ensuring it does not exceed mass limits, there is no fee applied by QLD Transport to carry this out.

Private enterprise QLD Transport accredited only, is also allowed to carry this out if you require it to be done on site. This enables you to go to QLD Transport with the required documents saving the down time involved in registering your trailer over 750kg/vehicle over 4.5 tonne, we are accredited to carry out this assessment, fees apply.

Trailers are still required to be roadworthy. Such things as tyres, tread depth and the age of the tyres fitted (perishing) wheel bearings, braking system, tow coupling, safety chain, suspension, chassis condition, are all part of the inspection.

Some things you may want to note: boat trailers although can be reasonable condition and young fail due to brake callipers being seized due to salt water contamination, brake rotors also are effected by salt water.

In recent times there has been influx of USA-built boat trailers due to the strengthening AUD$, but these trailers do not meet the Australian standards set in QLD. They fail on the following: lighting, tow coupling, safety chain, braking systems, synthetic brake hoses, and occasionally the use of mild steel bolts used in critical areas of construction.

The inspection area must be reasonably flat and we must be able to connect our vehicles to the trailer to ensure lighting and electric brakes operates (if equipped).

  • It is preferable to have the brake drums removed prior to arriving for the inspection. If we are requested to remove the brake drums, an additional fee for their removal and refitting applies per drum (if equipped with disc brake rotor this does not apply).
  • Tow coupling must be in good condition and operational.
  • All lighting fitted must operate and also be in good condition.
  • Axles must never have been welded or corroded, and suspension components rusty/corroded, surface rust is acceptable.

Caravans are regarded as a trailer, and the same applies. They do, however, require a Gas Installation Certificate to ensure registration transfer/renewal. If the caravan is not fitted with a gas installation this will be noted on the safety certificate.

There is nothing in the living area that requires safety certificate compliance although some caravans have their compliance plate fitted internally and is required to be sighted for vehicle identification.